Today, I want to get tactical.
Specifically, I wanted to talk about the #1 most important skill to learn if you want to write advertising that sells online, in print, or whatever.
Well, that’s not entirely true.
The #1 most important skill is understanding your market.
What we’re focused on today is a technical skill.
It’s 100% old school stuff. No bells and whistles. No secret “hacks.” Nothing like that. At. All.
It’s boring and very unsexy.
Plus, the majority of the people reading this won’t even bother to learn what we’re about to riff about.
However, when you really master this, you’re playing a completely different game than most of the FakeBook entrepreneurs online.
I’m talking about the old-school greats. People like Gary Bencivenga, Gary Halbert, and, particularly, John Carlton.
So what is this mythical skill of which I speak?
I’m talking about “bullets.”
Or “fascinations” as they’re also called in the copywriting world.
You’ve already seen these even if you weren’t aware of it.
Bullets (or fascinations) are those short, punchy lines of text with a “bullet” or a (*) next to them. Here’s an example from the legendary John Carlton and his “55-year-old Golfer” ad:
- The correct way to use your legs as you swing… which instantly “nails down” your accuracy. No more slicing and hooking ever! (Just think how much fun you’ll have hitting 18 out of 18 fairways in regulation!)
Now, this might not sound very sexy to you. But for the right market, it’s like feeding a supermodel to a pack of hungry sailors. Bullets are designed to be… well… fascinating. They’re designed to intrigue you. They’re designed to make you salivate… pull out your wallet… and scream, “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.”
And John Carlton is an absolute master of writing bullets like these.
Let me show you a few more examples of great bullets:
- The 7-step formula that even an illiterate drop-out can use to write advertising copy 100 times more potent than the best Madison Avenue ad agency!
- The strategic evergreen decision that will get you 90% of the results with a fraction of the effort, cost, and time
- The #1 easiest way to write a profitable email. (Believe it or not, your brain wants you to write this way… and your prospect’s brains want you to deliver the information in this exact format.)
- How to give yourself a teenage metabolism that burns away pounds and inches… even while you sleep!
- Learn from my $100,000 hiring mistake — the full, painful story
- How to craft an irresistible and highly converting sales email… in less than 29 minutes
If you’re the *right* market for any of these bullets, you’re salivating and dying to know the secret.
That’s the power of writing great bullets.
In fact, one of the great copywriters (can’t remember who) said something along these lines:
“Your headline is but your best bullet.”
Translation: If you get good at writing bullets, you’ll immediately improve your headline writing game. As David Ogilvy (legendary advertiser) said:
“When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.” — David Ogilvy
Luckily, learning how to write GREAT bullets is also a part of the “Infotainment” method I reveal in my free online training for experts and client businesses.
And, keeping with the “bullets” theme, here’s what you’ll learn in the free training:
- How to 2x your sales by using a little-known old-school tv magazine principle in your email marketing
- A $2 billion secret: how top businesses craft mouthwatering sales emails that people love to read
- How to write stories so compelling they immediately draw customers in — even if you’re not a “Natural” writer
- How to craft an irresistible and highly converting sales email in less than 29 minutes
- And much more…
Click the link below to get free access to the training: